Dark circles under eyes are a common beauty problem. They give us an appearance of tiredness or even illness. Even more, they decrease our self-esteem.
What are dark circles under eyes?
The skin below our eyes is very thin and is dotted with oil glands, unlike the rest of our body. Due to various reasons, the skin becomes thin and dry which makes the veins more visible. This leaves the area with a dark appearance.
What causes dark circles under eyes?
There are various reasons which lead to this unaesthetic appearance. Few of them are listed below.
If others in your family have dark circles, then there are some chances of you getting them, too. The thinness of under eye skin is a hereditary character. It reveals dark veins underneath which lead to this unpleasant effect.
Dark circles may also appear if you use to rub the under eye area a lot. This action will trigger the vessels to become more visible which leads to the unpleasant look.
Lack of Sleep and Fatigue:
Partying all night, lack of sleep, fatigue, sinus infections, pregnancy, all these may cause paleness of skin, which makes blood vessels appear prominently, giving the dark circles effect.
Structure of Bone:
Eyes set deep in skull bones may develop ark shadow under them.
Exposure to Sunlight:
Exposure to sun increases the level of pigmentation and causes tanning. Same thing applies for under eyes skin, it makes it darker and unpleasant looking.
Medications which cause dilation of blood vessels cause dark circles under eyes. Dilated blood vessels allow more blood to flow through them and they become more visible.
A poor diet or the lack of essential nutrients causes discoloration of under eye skin. Your body needs its resources for both maintaining its condition and for its appearance, which means that your diet needs to be rich in proteins and vitamins.
Hormonal Imbalance during pregnancy, menstruation, menopause and many other causes paleness of skin, which leads to appearance of dark circles under eyes.
As we grow older, the skin under our eyes becomes more dry and wrinkled. The wrinkled skin below our eyes emphasizes and helps the appearance of dark circles.
Home Remedies for Dark Eye Circles
How to get rid of this issue is the question that arises in your mind when you are dealing with this problem. Here are some solutions:
• Sleep for sufficiently long hours to prevent formation of dark circles
• Do not scratch the under eye skin.
• Have a good, balanced diet rich in nutrients.
• Lightly tap the under eye skin with one or two fingers to increase the blood circulation.
• Grate cucumber (you can also use a potato) and squeeze it in order to obtain the juice. Dip two cotton balls in it and keep them on eyes. This relaxes your eyes and relieves tiredness. It is considered the best remedy for under eye dark circles.
• Apply a paste of lemon juice, tomato puree, orange lentil flour and turmeric powder (if you are not allergic to it) under your eyes. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash it off.
• Drink plenty of water (more than 15 glasses throughout the entire day)
• Eat fresh fruits and green vegetables as they are rich in fiber.
• Reduce stress levels by practicing yoga and meditation.
• Avoid sweets and chocolates.
• Dip two cotton balls in rose water and place them on your eyes, covering dark circles.
• Keep thin cold cucumber slices on eyes as they have rejuvenating effects.
• Use natural facial masks based on vegetables and oils. They moisturize your skin and help with reducing the dark spots under your eyes.