Earache is one of the things that often first occur when we are babies, continues on and off throughout childhood and even occurs as adults. Home remedies for earache can be useful bits of information to have at your disposal to counter this often painful condition.Usually occurring when there is a cold or flu or sinus problems, earaches are the result of the tube between the throat and the middle ear being infected and becoming blocked.
Home Remedies for Earache
• Because of its antibacterial and antiviral properties, garlic is a great home remedy ingredient that helps in a variety of conditions, aches and pains. No surprise, then, that it has its place and uses as one of the remedies for earache. The simplest way is to eat a couple of cloves of raw garlic per day as this will help to kill off the bacteria in the ear canal. Garlic can also be used as an ear drop. However, using concentrated garlic in this way should be avoided because it will irritate the inner ear. What should be mixed with the garlic is oil called mullein.
• Mixing up a massage oil of lavender, tea tree and chamomile and then massaging the outer ear with this oil has been known to offer relief to earache. It can also be applied to the ear itself by dipping a piece of cotton into the oil and then placing it in the ear.
• The use of warm olive oil dropped into the ear has been used as a good home remedy for earache. All that is required is for the oil to be warmed slightly and then a few drops, dropped into the ear. This keeps the ear lubricated and helps with any irritation within the ear.
• Some particularly good home remedies for earache involve solutions to stop the pain as soon as it begins. It often happens that a plane journey triggers an earache. This is because of the changes in pressure as the plane lands and takes off. We are often told to swallow at this point in the journey and for good reasons. Swallowing helps to equalize the pressure within the ear and the atmosphere we’re in. Further flying tips that will help to equalize pressure in the ear and the environment include chewing gum.
• Above all, avoid poking around in the ear and placing foreign objects inside it. The ear is a delicate and important organ and should be looked after and cared for with this in mind.