Sprains are mainly caused by stretching or tearing of ligaments, resulting in restriction of your movement. The prime reason for this injury
is the sudden change of direction or due to a collision. The common parts affected are the ankles, wrists and knees.
On the other hand, sprains can also be caused by the tearing and stretching of the muscles. If they are overworked, it can turn into a chronic
strain. This type of occurrence is called pulling of the muscle.
is the best thing to do during this time. Any kind of activity which may cause pain, swelling or any other discomfort should be avoided.
You can still exercise to rejuvenate other muscles which need to be conditioned.
are great for reducing pain, inflammation and swelling. Keep the ice packs on the affected area for 15-20 minutes and repeat it every two to three hours to minimize the pain.
is the most common used method in order to tighten the strained or sprained area to avoid further injury. Elastic tapes,
bandages, special boots and air casts are just a few of the things that can be used in this aim.
By keeping the injured part elevated you can help in decreasing the swelling. The best position to keep the injured part elevated is above your heart level.
Home Remedies for Sprains and Strains
• You can expect to get well soon from the agonizing sprain by making pineapple part of your diet. The contents of pineapple have Bromelain, an enzyme which quickens the healing process. The side effects of Bromelain causes dermatitis, so if your skin itches due to the pineapple diet, stop it immediately.
• Massaging the affected area with comfrey oil or cream can help in alleviating the pain.
• Five drops of thyme oil diluted either in bathwater or some other oil can be used as a compress to get rid of swelling
• Arnica balm or ointment can be used as cream or a compress for the affected area.
• Horse chestnut is also very useful for such injuries. Due to its antiinflammatory properties and presence of a compound called aescin it
becomes beneficial for all kinds of injuries. You can spread this gel on the affected area every two hours until the pain subsides.